Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The end of 2012 season

The end to a season is always a bit bittersweet. I find myself ready for a bit of a break yet my competitive side wants to keep going! All the horses went out with a bang this season! Galway Downs hosted one of the nicest events I have ever had the privilege of attending. Robert Kellerhouse and his team did an amazing job bringing in spectators and running a flawless event. Spot On competed in the CCI * star and I have to say that was probably one of my most memorable cross country rides to this date. I came off course hugged my mom and had to hold back tears. He is a fairly new ride to me and although we have had smooth cross country rounds leading up to this show, this was the first time we worked as a team. It was a pretty special moment for me. Spot went on to jump a double clean show jump round and came in fourth in a 50 plus division of talented horses and riders. I can't wait for his future! My other horse competing that weekend was my OTTB five year old Tito. He continues to step his game up and this weekend was no exception. He competed in the T3D and I have to say being able to do steeplechase again was so much fun! He ended on his dressage score coming in third place and keeps showing everyone what a trier he is. Another horse who's future I am so excited for! Chloe spent the end of her season strutting her stuff in the Jumper ring. She is truly a freak of nature when it comes to show jumping and its fun to see her excel in that. She did multiple mini prixs and even won one of them! One of the highlights of the year for me was watching my mom compete again for the first time in over nine years! She completely killed it winning the dressage, running fast and clean on cross country and unfortunately one unlucky rail knocked her to second. Nonetheless she made it known that she still has it!!! It was so fun to be apart of that!! GO MOM! When the end of the season rolls around it comes time to reflect on everything. I have had some highs this season and also some of my lowest lows. Unfortunately the lows is apart of this sport like it is in any sport and you learn to use the lows to make yourself better. A lot of lessons have been learned this season and I can't wait to come back out next season a little wiser. I am so lucky to have the support that I do. My mother is not only my couch she is my mentor, my friend and someone who inspires me everyday to strive for the best. She has been by my side to help me through the lows and celebrate my highs all the while keeping me level headed. My dad is my biggest fan and not only do we have an amazing bond he has a special bond with each of my horses and I know he is just as emotionally invested in these animals as I am. Being back in California made me realize how much I missed working with Shannon Lilley. She is such an inspiration and I know has my best interests at heart. I can't wait for her to be competing at the FEI levels again with me, its going to be soon too!! Flying Tail Farms is such a wonderful family and I am very lucky to be apart of it. I am very very lucky to have some wonderful sponsors. Without these guys I would not be nearly as successful and my horses would not be privy to some of the best supplements, feed and equipment out there. APF, SmartPak, RevitaVet, Voltaire Designs and Buckeye Grain. Thank you so much for your continued support! This off season welcomes the horses with a bit of down time but mostly with homework for all of us. I know what we have to work on and I can't wait to get started! All the horses look great besides being a bit dirty and furry :) Looking onto next year I have a full competition schedule but most excited about my trip to Ireland. In my last blog I introduced the Garret Family as my new owners and we have now finalized the details for our horse shopping trip. Ireland here we come!! I hope everyone had a wonderful season and are all enjoying some down time. Happy Holidays and see you all back at it soon!! xoxo Kelly Spot at Galway Chloe at woodside Spot with his pretty ribbon! The first horse inspection CCI* show jump My wonderful family! My mom competing!! Spotty boy :) Chloe Advanced show jump Spotty! Tito <3

No comments: